A very beautiful journey. Dense, rich, educational. Quite wonderful!
A safe visit
LASCAUX, THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS CAVE, TRANSPORTED TO FLÉMALLE/LIÈGE BY THE MAGIC OF VIRTUAL REALITY
BE AMONG THE FIRST TO REDISCOVER THE GREATEST WORK OF ART OF THE PREHISTORIC ERA.
LIVE A TOTAL EXPERIENCE : virtual reality, interactive exhibition and archaeologist-led workshops
The discovery of the cave paintings of Lascaux, in the Dordogne, completely transformed our vision of Prehistory and the origins of human art. This monumental site and world heritage for all humankind can now be accessed virtually and immersively at the Préhistomuseum.
Enter the enchanting world of a cave network. Trace with your fingertips a herd of horses galloping across the cave wall. Lift your head and, suddenly, the figure of a wild bull emerges before your eyes. One moment, the paintings seem to melt into the rock, the next they spring to life as you turn a corner. This is an immersion in virtual reality thanks to a revolutionary technology that makes the cave accessible to all in guaranteed comfort.
From virtual to real, the physical exhibition that accompanies the immersion decodes this treasure of art history through 8 modules:
1. The history of the discovery: discover the history and the journey of the four teenagers and the dog who discovered Lascaux.
2. The evolution of the reproduction technology: discover the work of the artists and technicians who reproduced Lascaux.
3. A miraculously preserved cave: discover why this site was chosen to create the most spectacular sanctuary in prehistory.
4. The oldest "visual narrative" in the world: discover the story of the "well scene". It appears to us as a film to which only the sound would be missing.
5. An interactive exploration of the paintings and engravings: discover how the artists of Lascaux managed to create movement and tell a story on the walls.
6. Research around an enigma: discover the fine details of the engravings, the set of mysterious signs that perhaps form the language of Cro-Magnon men and the tools used to paint Lascaux
7. The life and culture of Cro-Magnon: discover the tools and food remains found in the cave. They tell you how these populations lived.
8. Meet the experts: discover the points of view of eight of the most eminent specialists of Lascaux.
Thanks to the combi-ticket, extend your visit to include some of the workshops (painting, carving, fire and more) led by professional archaeologists and a descent – only too real, this time! – into the Ramioul Cave, just as in the days of the extraordinary artists of Lascaux.
A BREATHTAKING PLUNGE INTO THE HEART OF LASCAUX
A VISITOR EXPERIENCE WITH EVERY COMFORT
- The VR headset is easy to position on your head
- No need to remove glasses or contact lenses
-The experience can be enjoyed standing or sitting
- The cave moves, not you: no sense of dizziness
- Your hands appear in the virtual reality world: you can interact with the cave walls
- Your guide takes the form of a ball of light and explains in detail everything you need to know about the cave
- Headsets are thoroughly disinfected after each use
Senior (+65 years old) 11 € Combined with the Museoparc 22 € Adult (18 - 64 years old) 14 € Combined with the Museoparc 26 € Student (13 - 17 years old) 11 € Combined with the Museoparc 22 € Child (3 - 12 years old) 8 € Combined with the Museoparc 15 €
Min. 15 particpants
Senior (+65 years old) 9,5 € Adult (18 - 64 years old) 12,5 € Student (13 - 17 years old) 9,5 € Child (3 - 12 years old) 7 €
+ 80€ by group (25 max for the archaeologist-guide)
13 - 17 years old 9,5 € 3 - 12 years old 7 €
Guided tour and access to the exhibition 17 € Private event catering starting at 13 € (HTVA) Corporate gifts on demand
Sylvie Chevalier - Vice-President for tourism and promotion of the Périgord and the Dordogne
Germinal Peiro - President of the Dordogne Departmental Council
I was bluffed! I had the impression to be directly at the bottom of the cave.
Fernand Collin - Director of the Prehistomuseum
I really believed I was inside. It reminded me of the emotion I felt when I visited the real cave!
THE PRÉHISTOMUSEUM LIES DEEP IN A PROTECTED FOREST SURROUNDING THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE OF RAMIOUL.
And why not extend your visit with some of the practical workshops or interactive demonstrations on offer: fire, discovering natural pigments, painting, and more.
For the bolder spirits, the adventure continues into the depths of the Ramioul Cave. More information on www.prehisto.museum
10AM TO 5PM (LAST ADMISSION 4PM)
DURING TERM TIME
EXTENDED TO 6PM DURING SCHOOL HOLIDAYS
AND FROM 5 APRIL 2022
THE MUSEUM IS CLOSED ON 24, 25, 31 DECEMBER 2021 AND 1 JANUARY 2022.
THE MUSEUM IS CLOSED TO INDIVIDUAL VISITORS (NOT INCLUDING GROUPS) ON MONDAYS DURING TERM TIME AND ON PUBLIC HOLIDAYS.
NO DOGS OTHER THAN ASSISTANCE DOGS ARE ALLOWED ON THE MUSEUM SITE.
How to reach us
128, RUE DE LA GROTTE /// 4400 FLÉMALLE - LIÈGE
By train ///
Take a train to Flémalle station (timetable) then take the TEC bus n°45 (timetable) or + 20 min by bike or Take the train to Engis station, then 10 min by bike
By bus ///
TEC Liège- Verviers - Ligne 9 departure Liège Opéra - Stop «RAMIOUL Grottes» - Consulter les horaires
By car ///
Autoroute E42, sortie n°4 « Flémalle » Coordonnées GPS: Latitude : 50.579246 | Longitude : 5.426674
The Lascaux Experiences exhibition has been designed to guarantee the wonder and safety of all:
- a maximum of 70 people/hour in a space of 800 m², i.e. more than 11 m²/pers.
- systematic and complete disinfection of the virtual reality helmets
- a private space of 9 m² to live the virtual reality experience
Workshops led by archaeologists take place outdoors (covered area heated with wood) and in chalets reserved for each family.
All of these facilities are in addition to the safety measures that have proven their worth at the Prehistomuseum since the beginning of the health crisis.